Saturday, May 8, 2010

UK med school/A level subject help


UK med school/A level subject help?
hi there, I'm choosing my A levels at the moment and therefore need to get this spot on! I'm definitely going for Biology, Chemistry and English Language but am stuck for a fourth option. I was considering physics but maths is not one of my strong points, I mean I can cope with maths but would prefer to get a higher grade in another subject that I know I'm capable of. Considering doing the AS Science in society which is basically a one year study, exploring science issues, writing about these issues, reviewing and analysis of a science book, and a study of a scientific issue. I mean it's only an AS and to me sounds a bit weak, what do you lot think? Considering psychology, physics (if no other option is available) or a GCSE followed by AS in Italian (MFL)? Cheers for your help!
Other - Education - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well you have 2 sciences already, you will have what you need to do med at uni. Go with something you enjoy or interested in. Have a word with a connexions advisor if your feeling a bit lost as to what you need. I don't think the AS sounds weak as most people only go on to do 3 A levels anyway and that's all you need to get into uni. However we are being encouraged to carry on with 4 as uni places are getting limited. Psychology is good i have just finished my first year and am considering doing it at uni next year. Good luck!! (:
2 :
You don't need four A levels. If you've picked three and they fit the requirements for medicine that's all you need. However, English Language is _not_ considered to be a suitable A level by most top universities. You should seriously reconsider changing that one. I think "science in society" is a waste of space. Go read a few magazines, if it interests you. Psychology might be a good fit. I wouldn't try physics if you're not good at maths. You won't cope. Or a language is always a good option.
3 :
Hi Nat, Medical school in the UK is competitive and you need to take challenging courses. Psychology is not difficult and career prospects are almost non-existant unitl you get to the graduate degree level. Personally I would recommend either physics or maths as your other A-Level. If you take something "soft" like Science in Society the university will know it and it may,in the end, work against you when you begin to apply for university.
4 :
i am in the same situation as you dont know what to take :( i would take the as science in society because its another science subject and universities like people having 3 sciences on, also it is one year so after the first year you wont have to chose a subject to drop as you will have this one :D i would not say chose psychology because you either have to have 3 sciences and one other subject, or 2 sciences maths and one other subject.
Read more discussion :