Friday, May 8, 2009

Have you attended grad school in a foreign country? What's it like.


Have you attended grad school in a foreign country? What's it like?
I'm a U.S. citizen considering applying for graduate schools in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. I don't want to just study abroad for a semester, I actually want to attend the foreign school the whole time. If you've attended graduate school in a foreign country, were there complications and extra steps to go through? Some of the specific things I'm wondering are: Was the admissions process more difficult because you were a foreigner? Was financial aid (loans, in other words) harder to get, and do you still get it from your home country or do you get it from the foreign country? Are you able to work a part-time job with a student visa? ANY information would be much appreciated... I don't even really know what I should be asking, exactly. Thanks!
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I go my doctorate from a university in the UK. The admissions process didn't seem to be any different for international students. There actually were less steps because I didn't have to take the GRE for the admissions process. Financial aid: I took out the maximum Stafford loan and a private loan through Sallie Mae. Not all loan companies offer private loans for universities overseas, but Sallie Mae does. Any company will give you a Stafford loan. Work: I did not work part-time other than occasional jobs here and there for my supervisor and other faculty members and was a TA (called tutor there). Others did have a job outside the university for limited hours. I think the student visa limits you work availability to 20 hours per week. I wouldn't advise working since the point of you being there is to study and get the international experience. For travel: you will need your passport and show your student visa stamp every time you enter the country. Also, carry your acceptance papers (matriculation form and housing assignment form) and proof of payment (loan applications, bank statement, or other documents indicating you have the funds to pursue the degree). When you arrive at school, open a bank account. Even with the 3% transaction fee for foreign charges, I still found the credit card to offer the best exchange rate (plus the credit card rewards scheme is nice). With a student account, the bank should not charge a currency exchange fee, but their rates are still significantly worse than if you made a purchase with a credit card. Make sure you have a small amount of the country's currency with you when you arrive for taxis, food, or any other purchases where credit cards are not accepted to hold you over until you open a bank account. If you have a layover at Heathrow, give yourself a little extra time to go through security.
Read more discussion :